Monday, November 10, 2014



DEIFICATION NATION

In the beginning, the elohim created skies and earth.


Welcome back.  Let's think about lost gospels.  

Apparently, there's a new one out.  I took a cursory glance at the information about it.  Jesus and Mary of Magdala got married and birthed two children.  

Well, shades of the Davinci Code and the Last Temptation of Christ.  

I want to know how old this gospel is.  If it is first century then it is more significant than if it is from the second to fourth century CE.  Even with a late date, it would be interesting as a witness to how early Christians thought about Jesus.

I want to know what language it is written in.  If it is Aramaic, not Greek, and has an early date that would be truly notable since Jesus spoke Aramaic.

Will it change anything?  Absolutely not!  Nothing can change our perceptions of Jesus more than modern science already has.  He is still the light from a star that died centuries ago.  

Besides, living for God and having a family makes him more holy than dying for God and being the butt of a bad theological joke of an interpretation that requires him to be a blood sacrifice to appease some sky god’s sense of kosher purity.

Nothing can change my delight and devotion to Jesus’s God of love, our God of love, and ground of all that is.  

Jesus of Nazareth was never anyone except a first century Jew living on the outskirts of a Roman occupied city.  That he became a god over the centuries makes him more noticeable.  I would not be one who seeks to be like him had history presented him as another sage, a Jewish Lao Tsu.  He pointed the way to God for me.  I will forever be connected to him for that.

Had it been otherwise, I may not have heard of his God who is the God I adore.  

So bring on the lost gospels.  I'm always looking for something new to read that is surprising and profound.

Blessings...


No comments:

Post a Comment