Monday, November 25, 2013

A WORD ABOUT PHILOSOPHY



In the beginning, the elohim created skies and earth.


Welcome back. I have been writing about Nietzsche’s philosophy as a good basis for our faith.  I now turn to how we can be monists and believe in God. 

For those of you who are philosophers, this should be interesting.  I assure you, that you will hear nothing new from me.

As far as ontology goes, the study of being, philosophy seems to have exhausted itself.  Philosophy has been relegated to the analysis of sentences, the meaning of words, and logic. 

I see books on Barnes and Noble shelves where philosophers are writing about the philosophy of a popular novel, movie, or character. 

Are there any paradigm shaking philosophers today?  Will that be possible in the future? 

We have had all kinds of philosophers from the Pre-Socratics to existentialists to logical positivists.  Recently, philosophy has turned its gaze to phenomenon or things as they appear to be more than things as they be.  I am using the subjunctive mood here to make a point.

We do not really know fully what things truly are, what is the meaning of life, and what it means to say that anything exists.    

Of course, I stopped reading philosophy long ago.  I do not know what is current today.  Maybe someone has come along who has explained the nature of being for us all. 

I doubt it.  I have always preferred existentialism and pragmatism for those philosophies are concerned with how to live.

But we have been pondering God.  The idea of divinity adds another arcane layer to an already perplexing reality. 

The question I seek to answer is this: can we be monists and Christians?  Is monism after all the best basis for Christianity?

Blessings…


No comments:

Post a Comment