Saturday, November 16, 2013

NIETZSCHE SAVES: FROM WITCHES




In the beginning, the elohim created skies and earth.

Welcome back.  I am writing about how Nietzsche can save Christianity so that it remains strong and true for the next 1000 years.

I saw the movie Carrie recentlyI was telling a dear friend about how much I enjoyed this new version and how interesting were the differences between it and the first one. 

I asked if she was going to see it. 

She told me that she and I did not agree about spiritual matters. 

That reply puzzled me.  I already knew that.  She is more conservative than I about religious beliefs, but I was talking about a movie, not religion. 

Then she said that she did not watch witchcraft movies because she was under spiritual attack by certain people whom she knew to be witches.

I did not know what to say to that.  My friend is very intelligent and educated.  Most people who refrain from watching horror movies do so because they do not like that kind of suspense.

I just said, "Really?  Wow.  It’s not really a witchcraft movie.  It’s about telekinesis."

My friend was adamant that the movie would weaken her resistance to a spiritual attack. 

I respected her opinion.  So I changed the subject.

There is a way of healing here for anyone beset by the irrational fears of the ancient world.  If Nietzsche is right, and I just know he is, my friend, also knowing that, would never fear witchery since it does not exist.  

Her fear exists and that is bad enough without being tormented by imaginary forces.

I have students who believe in voodoo, the Illuminati, demon possession, and other such nonsense.  

Have we not enough to fear from the real world without elevating our make believe fears to the level of reality?

Nietzsche saves us from that.  

Our God of love saves us too, but within the ancient context of believers beset by demonic forces. 

Nietzsche makes a very convincing case that all those disembodied ghosts and demons are hooey.  That goes very well with the nature of our God of love.

God ministers to us in a world beset by disease, natural disasters, accidents, and human wickedness.  A world of undetectable, imperious beings does not reflect a world created by our God of love.

Anything that is undetectable and unproven is make-believe.  Make-believe can be fun.  Stories from a make-believe world give us wisdom.

But we have nothing to fear from this world except, as a great man said, fear itself. 

I have overcome irrational fears by confronting them head on with what I know to be true.  Next time, I will write about a recent irrational fear that I confronted. 

Blessings...


No comments:

Post a Comment