Wednesday, April 2, 2014

HOLY HOMOPHOBIA, BATMAN!  
JAMES BALDWIN WAS RIGHT!

In the beginning, the elohim created skies and earth.

Welcome back.  Let's think about homophobia in heaven.

The Washington Post has recently reported some comments made by Bishop Desmond Tutu.  I shall include the entire quote below:

“I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this.  I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place. I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid.  For me, it is at the same level.”

According to the Post, Bishop Tutu, "likened equal rights for gays to the fight for equal rights for blacks."

The problem here is the same problem James Baldwin writes about in his book The Fire Next Time.  It is arrogance.  

When black Americans were fighting for civil rights, the perception was that freedom was something that white people gave to them.  White people wrongly believed that they had an intrinsic perfection that black people needed.  

Liberty was included in that package deal of perfection.

And all the people said, “Bull shit!”

The same crap is going on today.  Straights believe that gay people are getting their liberty because they are giving it to them.  Many straights believe that being hetero-sexual carries an intrinsic perfection that gay people would be so blessed to possess for themselves if only they would but accept it.  

Since they do not, then they are cursed.  

I cannot express more strongly how repulsive I find that kind of thinking to be.  It is not the gospel.  It is not in accordance with reality.  It is of the same stuff that stunk up the brain matter bleeding inside the skull of a Father Coughlin, a Bull Connor, or any person who believes in the lie of the so-called "real American."  

The only thing that exists in reality that matches this kind of thinking is...

Bull shit.  And I'm just being mean to bulls for thinking it.

Arrogance would make heaven into a hell.  Let us recall that in Christian lore, hell is where arrogance prefers to rule rather than submit in heaven. 

So, I shall tag along with the good Bishop here if homophobia is holy.

Blessings…


No comments:

Post a Comment