Wednesday, June 15, 2016



A WORD FROM THE VOID


FOR VICTIMS

In the beginning the elohim created skies and earth.

          Welcome back. Last time when I ended my post, I shared that I would write about Christian politicians, but I must write about the Lesbian Gay Bi-sexual and Trans-gendered men and women who were murdered in Orlando on June 12.

          My heart, my mind, and my spirit have been in the void. That is the place where no words or thoughts stir. It is the place where the breath of God moves until God speaks.

          Do not be deceived. I can write a lot of words, and I will. I’ll talk a lot too. But I am compelled to not remain silent when a disaster occurs, so these words pour out of my mind, not the void.

          I’ve known the void before. It was a year ago on June 17th. I could not believe my eyes would see and my ears would hear of such a massacre as what happened in the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina.

          Nine of my Christian brothers and sisters were slaughtered by a young man who looked as old as the high school students I teach. He walked into their church, listened to their Bible Study and prayer, and murdered them.

          The void presented itself to me then; it presents itself to me now for Orlando.

          When an unspeakable tragedy happens, a shroud of inexpressible silence blanks the mind as if the cosmos has become such a place where nothing can ever be uttered again.

          For Christians, this is a dreadful nothingness. The word is everything to us. The Greek word “logos” is translated as “word,” and it points to that presence of God that created everything.

              “In the beginning was the Word: the Word was with God and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things came to be, not one thing had its being but through him. All that came to be had life in him and that life was the light of men, a light that shines in the dark, a light that darkness could not grasp.”

          No Word means no creation, no life, and no salvation.

          A lot of words will be said about Orlando. A lot are being said already about Orlando. Many words sound insincere, spoken for the sake of public bluster by those who have everlastingly fought or fretted for the rights of gun makers and owners, but who have habitually come up blank for LGBT people except to condemn them. Their words sound rehearsed. Maybe they are rehearsed. Maybe they’ve articulated their rote revulsion too often after young Americans, very young Americans, and all the rest are massacred.

          We can tell when someone speaks words that are authentic, and we know they are true when the emotional loss flows from their bodies as much as from their voices. 

          We also know their words are true when they are transformed by tragedy. So often words abound about “these heinous acts,” but I see no transformation among the proclaimers.

          I wonder if the void does not seize us all when, “blood and destruction become so in use, and dreadful objects so familiar.” It can be a long time before the inexpressible is forthcoming. The word lies in silent abeyance.

          So we must wait. The word when it comes will explode in a big bang or glide in a gentle breath. It will create from our hearts, from our scriptures, our wisdom, our worship, our hands and feet, our work, our God of love.

          The victims who died were dancers, singers, tour guides, retail sales people, managers, a McDonald’s worker, salon workers, business owners, a lot of students, an Army reserve captain, and a mother who went to The Pulse to show support for her son by dancing with him. 

          She is gone, and he lives.

          Let us multiply by forty-nine the number of years these victims might have lived before dreadful murder ended them. Calculate the thousands of life years lost—void.

          These words are all I have written. I wait for another word. It could be a long wait. My soul feels as broken up as Anderson Cooper’s voice when he told us the names and occupations of those massacred.

          Next time, I hope to write about Buddhists and Christian politicians.

          Blessings… 

No comments:

Post a Comment