Thursday, August 1, 2013

Christianity for the Next 1000 Years: Intelligent Design



In the beginning, God created skies and earth.



Preliminary Remarks About Intelligent Design

Although “intelligent design” is not scientific, it is how God people experience nature.

Before I begin, let me remind my readers that all of humanity are people of God. When I write “God people” I am not singling out people of faith in a prideful way that suggests that we are superior to everyone else.

Judging from the silly things God people say and think, as well as the terrible things some of us do, I would underscore the statement that we are not superior to anyone. There is much room for humility among us.

And the last time I checked, humility is a Christian virtue.

Us Versus Them

I am also not conceiving of an “us” and “them” dichotomy. That is prideful, for when we think of ourselves as “us,” the temptation is to think of “them” as less holy, wonderful, magnificent, awesome, good looking, smart, savvy, patriotic, and just plain fun to be around.

It seems to be human nature for everyone to believe they are the finest people in the world, but the person whom I seek to emulate said the finest people were the LEAST among us. That knocks all of us fine ones out of the running for being so great.

God People

Instead, I am using “God people” as an unhyphenated designation for people who relate to their experience of life, world, and people through faith.

Hindu, Shinto, Muslim, Christian, Jew, Zoroastrian, Buddhist—the whole lot are God people in so far as they sense and celebrate divinity in their experience.

If I started my own religion today, I would still be a God person. Joseph Smith was a God person, as nutty as all the other starters, and even if he were a fraud in his heart when he was murdered, his deception was how he experienced faith.

By the way, that biology professor whom I wrote about, the one who wrote the Genesis account of creation on the blackboard, he was a Mormon. 

God People and Faith

Faith is very human, and therefore imbued with human personality. God people sense that our faith participates in the divinity toward which it turns. Many of us indeed sense that God is Who, not What, so thus we relate to God as personal.

Thanks for reading my blog. I welcome your comments. Next time, I will write more about intelligent design. Blessings…

No comments:

Post a Comment