Tuesday, July 1, 2014

HEARD AT PASSPORT

In the beginning, the elohim created skies and earth.

Welcome back. I took some time away from my blog, more than I intended, but I am ready to write again for another year.

Last week I attended the Passport Youth Camp on the Jacksonville University campus in Jacksonville, Florida. For those who do not know, Passport is an ecumenical ministry that seeks to join young people from various churches and denominations in order to celebrate Christ.  Campers go on mission trips and build relationships.

Just like last year, the week was somewhat grueling for an oldster like me. With all the activities and all the walking up and down steep stairs, I found myself nodding off in the elevator on the way to bedtime.

Often, during ministry, weariness calls forth boundless energy. I came away spiritually renewed and ecclesiastically closer to God. I hope I get to go again next year.

There were interesting differences this year compared to last year. This year, my mission project visited the Malivai Washington Recreation Center. Mr. Washington visited our group and told us about his life as a professional tennis player. Last year, we visited Mrs. Sykes’s home in Danville, Virginia. 

From Monday until Thursday, we played games with the older children, watched over the younger children during their quiet time after lunch, and picked up trash on the property. Last year, we scraped Mrs. Sykes's house and cleaned her yard.  We scraped the old paint off of her house so it could be painted by Passport campers arriving the following week.

I had arrived at Passport this year fully prepared to work the way I did in Danville. I was disappointed when I learned that I would not be fixing a house. Indeed, to me at first, playing kickball felt least important in any scheme of working for God's realm on earth.

However, I knew that the children we served would be blessed by a ministry of exposure to other children who consistently related to one another with kindness.

Another difference I saw this year was all the churches were Baptist Churches. Last year, we had Methodist, Episcopalian, and Presbyterian (?) young people attending camp. I saw no difference in the way the campers interacted with one another.

I found myself wishing black Baptist churches had attended with us.  There was very little diversity among the campers.  A truly ecumenical experience calls for fellowship among all Christians. 

This year, I made friends with other chaperons and exchanged emails with one. I invited two new friends to visit my blog and contact me. One was a special sister from South Africa. The stories she told about her country were very interesting. She shared a very strong sense of justice that she wants to see working wherever she lives. Last year, I was too busy scraping Mrs. Sykes’s house to really try to know other chaperons.

Our theme this year was "Follow the Road."  The best idea that emerged in camp from that theme, in my opinion, preached that being a voice for the voiceless was a very Jesusy thing to do. Bullying became a topic of preaching and discussion. The assumption was not only that the campers would never be bullies, but they would stand up for others being bullied.

I hope I have done that my whole life. I can think of few other ways than that to emulate Jesus.

Blessings...



No comments:

Post a Comment