Monday, July 22, 2013

Christianity for the Next 1000 Years: Cha...Cha...Cha... Changes...

In the beginning, God created skies and earth.


         Greetings.  Welcome back.  Let me share some changes that I see now that I’m back in church.


          Such marvelous changes, indeed.  

          In church the past few weeks, I saw women greeting morning arrivals in the vestibule and handing out the order of service.  Three decades ago, old guys in polyester suits greeted entrants.  Now, women, old and young, along with old guys and young guys greet those who come to worship.  It was good.

          I saw women taking up the offering.  They were deacons.  It was good.

         A sister lead the quarterly business meeting after church today.  There was a luncheon before the meeting.  A brother washed dishes after the meeting adjourned.   Sisters and brothers cleaned off the tables.  It was good.

          The message from today’s homily was about Mary and Martha in Luke 10.  For centuries women have been forced to see themselves through stories told by men, told about men, and set in a male matrix with God being the ultimate man. 

          My brother washing dishes I likened to Martha in the same way a sister might hear another sister's doubts and liken her to Thomas or a mother might welcome a daughter home from rehab and liken her to the son who came home to his father.  

          I thought how well I washed dishes when I attended seminary and worked in the cafeteria.  It was all good.

         When I attended seminary feminist theology proliferated in the classes, not as primary assigned texts, but as being mentioned by professors.  When for a million years half of a sentient species is virtually silenced by the other half, a correction seems necessary to me…you know…just for the sake of good old fashioned fairness.  So, feminist theology is good…sometimes…just like male theology can be good…sometimes.

          Thanks for visiting.  I hope your day is peaceful and joyful.  Please come back.  Blessings…



           



No comments:

Post a Comment