Sunday, July 21, 2013

Christianity for the Next 1000 Years: Rip Van Winkle Redux

                                              In the beginning God created skies and earth.  

                   Welcome back.  I pray my post today finds you well and happy.  I just
returned from vacation, so I 'm eager to get started anew.  

                   I've been thinking about good old Rip Van Winkle.  He met some magical men in the Catskill Mountains in New York, watched them bowl with lightening force, drank their liquor, and fell asleep for twenty years.  He was an Englishman, but he awoke an American.  

                   I joined Dolores Street Baptist Church in San Francisco in 1982.  I attended seminary at Golden Gate Baptist Church at the time.  I began home churching after I left San Francisco.  Eventually, I ended up in Atlanta.

                   Occasionally, I attended Oakhurst Baptist and Virginia Highlands Baptist, but I never joined.  I visited Mass and an Episcopalian church from time to time. 

However, I had established a new routine of watching political
talk shows like Meet the Press and Face the Nation on Sunday morning.  It suddenly became important for me to be informed about the issues of the time since for most of my life I had not paid particular attention to what was going on in the world.

                   So for a little over thirty years I home churched.  Last Sunday, I joined a Baptist Church.  The pastor, my friend, said something really neat when he took my hand and accepted my membership. 

                   He said, “Welcome home.”

                   My pastor stands above me by over a foot.  I feel like a Hobbit standing next to him.  He has silvery hair and a kind face with a ruddy complexion.  Because of his height, he seemed closer to heaven than to me for that moment he welcomed me.  His voice, deep and resonate, fell upon me, sounding more godlike than Charlton Heston’s burning bush.  But when he said, “Welcome home,” a rush of emotion swept over me.  I had not expected that.

                   The Baptist church, for all of its weird history and bizarre present, its charlatans and chimeras and segregationists and fools and young earth creationists is my home. 

For I was raised in a Baptist church, and it has always been a Baptist
church that I carried with me.  My home churching occurred in the context of "what brung" me, and though I left the church physically, I took it with me in my brain, that splendid purveyor of all things poetic and metaphorical, and it caused me to feel a Baptist church in my chest wherever I went.

                   When people asked me, “Do you go to church?”  I would reply, “I am a church.”  And thus was I one, at least metaphorically, and a Baptist one to boot. 

                   So for all practical purposes, I have been Rip Van Winkle, asleep, for thirty years.  I like to tell people I stepped out of a cryogenic tube.  What marvelous changes God hath wrought in all that time!

                   One last thing:  I heard in church this morning that on this day, Buzz Aldrin took communion before the LEM landed on the moon 44 years ago.  I thought that was neat.  How cool would it be to wake up after thirty years and learn that Baptists walked on the moon… at least…uh…Baptists who believe Apollo 11 really happened. 

Thanks for visiting.  I hope to see you here next time.  I want to share
some changes that I see after thirty years.  Blessings…




       


No comments:

Post a Comment