Sunday, July 7, 2013

Christianity for the Next 1000 Years: Christianity for the Next 1000 Years: God in Two Parts

In the beginning, God created the sky and the earth. (NCV)

Welcome back.  I hope my post, today, finds you well.

So, about God…wow…where do I begin? 

I love God more than I believe in God.  Unlike certain comedians and authors, who speak and write of letting god go, I did not quit the one I loved just because there was no evidence, or very little evidence, or the evidence was crummy. 

I thought about leaving God.  Indeed.  However, before I packed my bags and walked out, I decided to talk to God about it.

First, I described what I heard her say.  Jokes die when described.  

“She said she felt as if she had lost a loved one when she quit you.”

Silence…

I said, “Why is there all this mystery?  Why the cryptology?  Must it be this way?  If Jesus really rose from the dead, why couldn’t he stay on earth for two thousand years and steer history away from Hitler?”

Silence…

I said, “Germs!  He could have told people about germs during Pentecost and explained how to make soap for starters.”

Silence…

I said, “If there is no god, how would we then reason?  I think pretty much the way folks are thinking now.”

Silence…

I said, “I’m getting sleepy, now.  I love you.  Thanks for letting me run today with that dragonfly on my shoulder.  Thank you it wasn’t a wasp.  That really was neat.  Did I miss an epiphany?  Thanks so much for life and allowing me to experience it.  I sure am glad I have my health.  Thanks for microscopes and telescopes.  When people make things like that do they see you better?  I wish I knew.  I love you.”

Silence…

“I’m really sleepy.  Talk tomorrow.  She was funny.  Insightful atheists.  I always wanted to be a comedian.  Good night.  I love you.”

I believe in God not because I reasoned it out.  I believed in God without asking for it.  God, always here, represented to me a gift, unsought yet ever seeking to know as I sensed this sacred presence in me, in the world and everything that is in Being. 

To quit God, I must reason it out.  

I truly appreciate your visit.  I hope to see you back for my next post.  Blessings...




No comments:

Post a Comment