Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Christianity for the Next 1000 Years: My Science Testimony


In the beginning, God created skies and earth.

Thanks for returning. Please read and respond.

I owe my marriage to The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin. Let me explain how.

The first time I met my wife was in P&S, a paper and supply store for teachers. For me it was love at first sight beside the dry erase markers because her green eyes bedimmed all the other hues in the store.

I looked quickly at her finger to see if she wore a ring.  I saw none so, emboldened by that, I asked her if she had seen anyone in the store who could help us.  She said she was looking for someone too.

I asked her where she taught. She told me the name of her middle school. I asked her what she taught. She said, “Science.” 

I know my eyes widened. I blurted out what could have been misconstrued as a risky pickup line.

I said, “I love science too. I bet I am the only man you ever met in this town who’s read The Origin of Species and liked it.” Her big eyes swelled to the size of limes.  

Seeing that she was impressed, I boldly asked her to tell me her name.  Eventually, we had a first date, a second date, and so on until we married and are living happily ever after.  

Love, it seems, naturally selected us to make a family.

The funny thing is I read The Origin of Species because I like to read great books, but I had a limited background in biology, I found myself looking up a lot of words and researching a lot that I did not understand.

When I had attended high school I never took a single science course. My public school system, in their wisdom, deemed it unnecessary for all students to study science or math in the 1970s.

I was given the choice to opt out of science and math. I was a kid. I did what any kid would do. I opted out. I have always regretted that for I would have loved biology.

Please feel free to respond.  Next time, I will share how my first biology professor taught creationism beside evolution.

I hope to see you here.  Blessings...

No comments:

Post a Comment