Monday, July 22, 2013

Christianity for the Next 1000 Years: Rip Returns

                        In the beginning, God created skies and earth.

          Welcome back.  Below is some more new stuff I have seen in church since returning from my thirty year hiatus.

         When Rip Van Winkle awakened his old flintlock laid beside him.  It had rusted over twenty years.  Surely, in two decades, there were new technologies that he would discover.

          I see many changes after three decades.   My church has a web site.  I can go there for announcements.  I remember church bulletins from the sixties and seventies were created with a printing device not much more advanced than the one Guttenberg used.  It was called mimeograph.  It was not that good, but the web site is great.

          To be honest, I joined my church twice:  once after the service last week and then today on Facebook.  There is also Twitter.  Those changes are huge.  They are good. 

          When I attended church, the Great Commission was the big event.  God just wanted to save souls so they would go to heaven so witnessing was vastly more important than helping people.  

          Churches today really want to help poor people.  Since so many Americans prefer a government that no longer cares to give its citizens a fair deal, a helping hand, and a safety net, it has become more imperative for churches to step it up to minister to those among us who need help.

          That’s another change too.  The mood of the country has changed from electing a government that helps poor people to electing a government that does not.  There was a time when our government did something that ancient Christians could only dream about:  they fed, clothed, and housed more people than any large aggregate of churches combined. 

        In thirty years, that one change is not good.

       Thanks for visiting me.  I hope my words are meaningful.  Tomorrow I will write about more changes.  It will be nice to share with you.  Blessings…



No comments:

Post a Comment