Friday, July 5, 2013

Dr. Weisbaker

     In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.  Then he created a theologian.  God listened to what the theologian was thinking and saying.  God thought, "Me have mercy!  The things that theologian is thinking about me!  I won't have it."  So God created another theologian, and then walked away.

     Welcome back.  I hope your holiday was as refreshing as mine.  I want to share a little about my personal journey as a God person.  Please allow me to introduce you to my favorite teacher.

     Dr. Weisbaker told that theologian joke above during one of his Interpretations of Religious Man lectures.  I imagine it was a joke that coursed around many a religion department throughout the country, at least those Dr. Weisbaker attended.

    Dr. Weisbaker graduated from Princeton, where he received his graduate degree, whereupon he subsequently attended the University of Chicago and earned his PHD.  He was the most fascinating lecturer and one of the kindest men I ever knew in my life.  

    He was a first rate nerd.  I mean that as the highest compliment.  Whenever my students call me Mr. Heard the Nerd, I always thank them profusely.  Incidentally, Dr. Weisbaker, the nerd, spent his spare time backpacking or snow skiing.  The man loved nature.  His was not the strength of the ox pulling a plow, but of the camel traversing a wilderness.

    Dr. Weisbaker wore spectacles.  His intellect was imposing.  He rarely smiled in class.  If a student said something laughable, he had a slight way of smirking that halted the mind in its wayward tracks.  He modeled a brilliant Socratic debating style during discussions.  

     Dr. Weisbaker’s personality remained ever professorial and aloof, yet he loved to visit with students in a pub for hours and hours in order to discuss the world, the meaning of life, and God...in his professorial manner, of course.  

     Step away from that scene for a moment and observe.  See the professor from the North drinking wine with Southern Baptist students drinking beer.  The students are twanging questions, musing aloud, and transforming themselves into better God thinkers as they discuss “What is the Good?” and “How do we know it is the Good?” and “What is moral?” and “How do we know it is moral?” 

    The outpourings of other minds, men and women, past and present, sat with us at that table, and we knew we would never be fundamentalists anymore.

I came away from those sessions with mixed feelings of astonishment and disappointment.  The disappointment I felt because those sessions always seemed to end too soon.   I also came away distressed.  My world interior world had collapsed.  It had to be rebuilt. 

    Of course, I went to God and complained.  Again, I heard the huge silence.  I returned to the writings of Christian writers I had read in the past, except now, I possessed a more critical eye.  I had studied logic and new ways of thinking about God.  Francis Schaeffer, Josh McDowell, and C.S. Lewis turned out to be seriously flawed once I had a little more information.

     For example, C.S. Lewis’ argument that Jesus claimed to be God.  So either the claim was false because he lied or it was false because he was a lunatic or the claim is true.  Lord/Liar/Lunatic. 

     The first time I read that I thought, “Wow!  This is a done deal.  Jesus is Lord.”  But Lewis, who should have known better, committed the false choice fallacy.  He was setting up his argument to force you to arrive to the conclusion he wanted you to believe.  Lewis was a professor at Cambridge.  He should have known better.

     Incidentally, being dishonest in debate seems to happen a lot among evangelicals.  I don’t like it, but I understand why many do it.

     Lewis neglected to mention the possibility that Jesus was legendary.  Some have even suggested Jesus was a little mad if he did in fact claim to be a being who created all these gazillion stars, galaxies, and vast universe with the particles of the micro-world as his building material. 

     Thank you for your visit.  My next post will continue my reflection on how the lives that we know and know us influence who we are. 

     I hope to see you here.  Blessings…

No comments:

Post a Comment