Monday, July 8, 2013

Christianity for the Next 1000 Years: God Language



In the beginning, God created the sky and the earth.  NCV

Welcome back.  I hope you are blessed reading this today.

I often wonder who the readers will be who connect with me, and surely I know they will come.  If you are someone who despairs for that wholeness lost once upon a time gone by, having slipped away mainly because you were unable to contort your mind to ignore truth, then we will surely connect. 

I have been there, friends.  I know how devastating it feels, as if the earth has been yanked out from under me, and there is nothing holding me up, but facts and data.  How unsteady are those two supporting legs beneath the weight of that which needs four.  I know that emptiness. 

The silence of God, once bearable to me because God’s voice, formerly found in scripture reading, transformed into simple silence.  Scripture became rancorous to me. 

After learning what modern Biblical scholarship revealed about the Bible, I felt deceived.  The book I loved most had gone from being a comfort to being an argument every time I returned to my quiet time.   I began to count errors in the Bible.  My head had been poisoned with inerrancy so badly that when I read God’s written word, I looked for mistakes.  I never had to look very hard.

So I quit reading the Bible for twenty years.  Often, I feared I might die before my experiment ended.  That would have been a shame because I love the Bible.

I did read Biblical scholars from time to time, and theology, but I stopped reading books in the Bible.  When I began to read the Bible again, having aged in experience and knowledge by twenty years, it was as if I first learned it in Braille. 

For instance, I saw before how important being kosher was to Jesus and his critics.  I never saw that he did not dine with sinners defiled by original sin, but he dined with sinners defiled by violations of kosher laws.  Many of them may have wanted to follow kosher laws, but were prevented by life.  They loved Israel’s God, and the only rabbi who accepted them undefiled into God’s kingdom was Jesus.

Here’s another example.  How could I read Noah’s story so many times and never notice that in one place, God tells him to bring two of every kind of animal, but in another God tells him to bring seven of every kind of clean animal, seven of very kind of bird, and two of every other kind of animal on the ark?  (Genesis 7)

I believed for decades that one pair and only one pair of every animal went with Noah. 

Also, there were so many things I had wondered about when I was a fundamentalist, but never bothered to ask about because of the pressure to never question the Bible.  After reading the Bible again, the same questions remained. 

For example, how in the world could anyone follow a star to the place on earth where it hovered.  When I was ten, I could never draw a straight line from my house to any star in the sky.   I always wondered about that.  The star would literally have to be just like the star in the movies.  It would have to be a light leading the wise men to Jesus, but it would certainly not be a sun.

How many of us today struggle to love God, but find it nearly impossible when our consciences crave intellectual integrity?  I have known  that hopeless sense of lostness when I wondered whether or not I prayed to an invisible man projected inside my mind. 

So I read, studied, pondered, and kept telling God how much I loved God. 

A mystical unveiling over time occurred.  I realized that the problem was not science at all, not the Bible at all, for in the scriptures the way God is perceived evolves.

I would argue today that God must be true if science is true.  The problem is not an expanding universe with countless galaxies in tow, nor is it evolution, germ theory, or the heliocentric view of our solar system.  The problem is language.

As of today, I am serving as counselor at a Passport camp.  Passport is an ecumenical ministry for young people.  The churches represented here tend to be more progressive:  Episcopal Church, Cooperative Baptist Fellowship, United Methodist Church, Presbyterian, and Evangelical Lutheran. 

I am eager to observe for a week and learn if the language I hear used about God is different in any way than the language I heard in fundamentalist venues.  I am eager to discover how a transformation in language will sound to the ears and the mind. 

I agree with Marcus Borg that theological re-education is imperative today in our churches.  If we do not re-educate God people how to God talk, then Christianity will dwindle into superstition.

It is already happening.  Today, we see so many young people who are not persuaded by the misguided attempt to frighten them into faith.  The world of knowledge is too much with them.  We must do what Christians have always done in the past.  We must retool our message.

Thanks for visiting with me.  I hope you return tomorrow.  Blessings…

No comments:

Post a Comment