Sunday, July 28, 2013

Christianity for the Next 1000 Years: Forrest Gump


In the beginning, God created skies and earth.


Welcome back. I hope your Sunday has been restful and fulfilling. 

I have been writing about how texts are transformed by interpretation. 

The primary text I wrote about last time was Forrest Gump by Winston Groom.  In my first daily post today, I mentioned how the movie transformed the book.  In fact, I could argue that it created a different Gump tradition.

In the book, which I recommend to one and all if you love to read comedy that will make you laugh, Forrest does not run home to see his mother after he is discharged from the army.

Now, it’s been a long time since I read the book.  I am going from memory here, specifically what struck me as so “other” from the movie.

So, back to Mrs. Gump.  In the book, Forrest gets a telegram or a phone call or something that tells him she had passed away.

In the book, Forrest is in a production of, I think, Hamlet at a theater.  He is holding a torch while on stage.  He accidently sets the theater on fire. 

This gets him in trouble with the law.  The judge gives him a choice.  He can go to prison or join an experimental NASA program that will launch him into outer space with a gorilla and Major Sue. 

He opts to launch into space.  While in outer space, the gorilla keeps trying to grab Major Sue who apparently arouses him.  Somehow this causes the module to crash onto an island inhabited by cannibals.  Among the cannibals is a Harvard educated man who loves to play chess.  I believe he was the chief.

In the book, Gump may or may not be good at ping pong.  I don’t remember exactly.  But he is great at chess. He realizes that the chief will eat him, the gorilla, and Major Sue if he lets him win.

Incidentally, Gump is also terrific at playing the harmonica.  He and Jenny are in a band at the beginning of the book.  She leaves him when she finds him in an alley with adoring female fans sitting on his lap.

I hope I can demonstrate two things here.  I tried to recount a story that I read long ago.  I tried to recount some of the main events in my memory that show how the text has been transformed by the movie.

If I never read the book again, and I never saw the movie again, I might easily blend both traditions in some way in my head decades from now. 

Some scholars believe the writer of John’s gospel may have read Mark and composed his gospel based on his memory of that reading.  Imagine someone reading the gospel of Mark one time or hearing about it one time.  That could very well be likely since there were no printing presses in the first century. 

Someone, say a writer who composed John’s Jesus tradition, called the Johannine School in modern biblical scholarship, might have remembered enough of Mark to follow his passion story, but then recalled little else.  John’s is a unique Jesus tradition in a way similar to how Forrest Gump the movie is a different Gump tradition than the one in the text.

What I have not mentioned is how stories circulated about Jesus orally before they were written down.  This is not unusual.  Stories about Troy and Hector circulated orally before Homer wrote them down.  Stories about Adam, Abraham, and Moses were told before someone fixed them into a text.

In fact, in the Jewish Bible, the Torah is something like a quilt sewn together with four different cloths.  The genius of the redactor, that is the one who combined the sources, is his unique preservation of ancient diversity.  He fixed it into singular a text for scribes to copy.

Now, I know all this.  It means the Bible is a very human book.  Yet, it does not make me believe I can’t be a God person because there are one or one billion errors in the Bible.  It would be silly to hold any book anywhere to a false standard of inerrancy.  That is idolatrous.

No, I have the relationship with God before I come to the Bible.  I read the Bible to understand that relationship.  I am never leaving God because the written language that expresses faith is so human. 

In truth, I am thrilled by that.  It makes me humble.  I am not as likely to be a pious Bible thumper when I know that the Bible is fallible.  I am fallible as an interpreter. 

But Jesus is the light of truth I find in the Bible.

Thanks for visiting. I hope to see you here next time. Blessings…


No comments:

Post a Comment