Monday, July 1, 2013

Topics

Below are samples of topics that will yield multiple posts:

I am an ordained Southern Baptist minister.  I number myself among those who seek to imitate the life of Jesus of Nazareth.  I am a teacher, too. 

I possess a degree in Philosophy and Religion from a secular university.  I taught Bible History in a public school system.  Currently, I am reading a book about the history of Christian thought.  My God education is ongoing and eternal.

I love God more than I believe in God.

I do not believe God acts in history; rather, I believe history acts in God.

I prefer the company of sinners over saints, yet I know saints are my brothers and sisters. 

I have always been a sinner.  I never met anyone who is not.

I prefer academics over scholasticism.  Academics are an ongoing search and collaborative discussion about what is real.  Scholasticism assumes what is real and forces research and discussion to fit the assumption.

I prefer science over dogma.  Science discovers knowledge with a method.  Dogma asserts the truth of certain doctrines.  It may take years for science to correct itself.  It often takes centuries for dogma to correct itself.

I respond most fervently to doctrines that preach God is more humane to humans than humans are to each other. 

I am not interested in preaching anyone into believing what I believe. 

I have experienced much that a person of faith might experience.  I have been a Bible thumper, a fervent fundamentalist, a Campus Crusade for Christ cell leader, and a progressive.  I have been just about anything a person can be religiously except a convert to another religion or another denomination.

I never wanted to kill or harm anyone who does not share my faith.  I never despised someone so much I prayed they would be stricken with God induced suffering.  I never asked God to shoot down a 747 just because someone on the flight offended my religious sensibility. 

Although I have ridiculed others because their beliefs were foolish in the past, I never felt good about it. 

I fervently wish to live among people as Jesus did, with a generous capacity to love kindness, peace, and justice. 

I am qualified to write about my relationship with God for the same reason anyone is.  I breathe.  I live.  I think.  I possess the curiosity to write. 

The Christian family is massive; the family of religious humanity is more massive still. 
I want to share anecdotes, stories, and musings.  With God as my context, I wish to comment about news, culture, academia, popular religion, the future, and human nature.  I suspect that football and baseball may creep into my writing. 

I will write about those who seek God as well as those who seek a world without God. 

My purpose is to create God’s love in the world, since God created me. 

I fear Christianity is becoming irrelevant in our postmodern world.  I seek to show how eternally relevant is the life of Jesus of Nazareth for everyone.

If by reading my blog you are inspired to think, ponder, muse, imagine, and ruminate about God-- there are you blessed.  If my blog inspires you to love kindness, make peace, and seek justice in this world--there are you blessed even more.  If my blog inspires you to feed the hungry, heal the afflicted, and love those well whom you already love and those you cannot love—there are you blessed even more and most divinely.

If my blog inspires you to love God even when you doubt God, then I am blessed knowing such love may grow in the world.


I hope to see you there.  Blessings…

No comments:

Post a Comment