Wednesday, August 6, 2014



GOD IS PATIENT


In the beginning the elohim created skies and earth.


Let’s think about what makes us impatient.

Nothing sets me off more than making stupid mistakes. Printing fifty copies of a syllabus, and then discovering I misspelled the name of my school, really makes me feel like a blockhead.

I can go a long time despising myself after something like that.

Forgetting to make seating charts the day before I need them grates me like a thousand pitchforks scratching my back.

Letting an obnoxious, aggressive driver push my buttons so that I overshoot my turn makes me think there is no hope for me.

I just have to thank our God of love that the impatience I feel towards myself cannot be a part of God’s work in my life. It is so easy to imagine God being a person like me, rolling his eyes, guffawing at my tantrums, being amused at the way I course through life as comically as a kitten climbing drapes.

That’s the first imagining. I really have no idea how God would think about little old me. Surely, since God is as vast as all those multi-verses the physicists are going on about, or vaster than our one infinite universe, then I gain God’s attention like a parasite living in my gut gain’s mine.

Nonetheless, I imagine love makes it possible that God is everlastingly present in every single moment of every single energy particle as well as every sublime composition of particles…you know…compositions such as we are.

I can fancy God loves being here with us and watching us transform ourselves into beings who would love as God loves and draw upon patience that is eternal.

If that seems too abstract, I imagine hanging out with Jesus. He strikes me as somebody who loves others so much he can laugh at the stupid things they do. Of course, he most likely stops laughing if in our stupidity we are mean or murderous to one another.

I can relate to an image of God like that. So the next time I do something stupid, I’ll take it in stride and write about it later…you know…like now.

Blessings…


No comments:

Post a Comment