Wednesday, August 20, 2014

LOVING THE DAY SHE WAS BORN

In the beginning, the elohim created skies and earth.

Welcome back. Let’s think about a wife’s birthday.

There’s something awe inspiring about a birthday. Today is my wife's birthday.

Amazement seizes me every time I contemplate her being in the world.

From the moment her genetic material entered the life stream, she began making her way to me. She started as a sperm cell swimming to where we would meet decades later.

I also started swimming toward her when I looked like a tadpole. I was in the world five years longer than she was, moving to that place where our relationship began before we fell in love and married.

If she had never been born, where would I be? 

This world can be a shitty place. In this world people of fanatical faith behead other people of faith. In this world depression robs great life forces of their vitality so that they snuff themselves out. In this world children flee their countries and their families to live in a strange place they heard was a land of freedom and opportunity. In this world cancer takes away everything a person has during a process of replacing life with suffering. In this world nations are held in the grip of superstition fixed in the minds of ignorant people so conclusively that superstition is considered more viable than science. In this world there is war and there is war. When war ends, there is more war.

Indeed, there is horror, yes, but there is also the woman I love who was born on this day five years before I was born.

She swam toward me, then crawled, then walked, ran, drove, lived…while in the world, with a head start, I lived toward her.

Loving somebody fertilizes this shitty world with grace.

Blessings…




No comments:

Post a Comment