Monday, August 18, 2014

MY AUDIENCE

In the beginning, the elohim created skies and earth.

Welcome back. Let’s think about audience.

We who teach writing emphasize the importance of audience. Everyone who writes, appeals to an audience. Readers gather like rain and linger like pools of water before the lightening forked by great writers.   

Literature remains for centuries or more.  However, most popular writing is structured according to the interests, knowledge, and, yes, the entertainment expectations of an audience.

I am well into my second year writing this blog. The audience I have in my head is not really the audience I wanted to address when I started.

I wanted to appeal to anyone who is a brother and sister in Christ. I hoped to expand the faith of fundamentalists and evangelicals; to fortify the faith of those who would number themselves among us, if only they had not been convinced by fundamentalists that they had to believe the ancient world view of the Bible as if it were the gospel; and to assure the faith of brothers and sisters already preparing the way for the next millennium…and beyond.

I still have that hope. All are invited to join me, all people of faith are invited.  There is no Greek and Jew with me, no Muslim or Buddhist.  We are all children of God. I welcome anyone's ideas and comments on this blog site.

However, my blog title purports to be about Christianity for the next one thousand years. Those who want to carry the gospel beyond flat earth cosmology and sky god idolatry into the coming centuries are my audience. Those who are believers, yet believe they are not believers, are my audience also.

Indeed, anyone who loves as Jesus loved is my audience.

Fundamentalist, evangelical, conservative, liberal, progressive, and emergent:  if you love EVERY SINGLE PERSON as Jesus loved, you are my audience. If, for you, theology is interesting, but not as crucial as loving as Jesus loved, then you are my audience.

Blessings…

No comments:

Post a Comment