Thursday, August 21, 2014

HE SAID; I SAID

In the beginning, the elohim created skies and earth.

Welcome back.  Let’s think about yesterday’s post.

Yesterday, I wrote about daring the universe.  I met a nice person, a retired navy man, fifty-something, who said, “I know when things started to go wrong in the public schools.  It was when the government got involved.”

I said, “I disagree.  Schools got better when the government got involved.  When I went to school, we were segregated, and they seemed more concerned that we learn the Bible rather than science.  In elementary school Mrs. Greenway came every Thursday and taught us to memorize Bible passages.  I managed to sail through my entire time in high school without taking a single science class.”

He said, “There was no segregation when I went to school.”

I said, “No segregation in North Carolina?”  He had told me he was raised in a small near mountain town in North Carolina.  I thought about Pat Conroy’s narration about the high school in South Carolina that celebrated when Dr. King was murdered.

He said, “We had some, but everybody was happy about it.”

I decided not to disturb the universe.  I said nothing.

Blessings…


No comments:

Post a Comment