Tuesday, August 19, 2014

THE FUNNY BONE SUFFERS

In the beginning, the elohim created skies and earth.

Welcome back. Let’s think about Robin Williams.

I have been unable to write about his suicide. The horror of his felt loneliness, the image of the final result, the terrible suffering that compelled this great comedienne, accomplished actor, and brother in the work of Christ to end his life knocks the wind out of all my words.

His way in the world surely offended the pious, but he treated people with the same acceptance and kindness that I covet for myself, and I see in the life of Jesus.

His fame did not diminish one iota his connection to the hoi polloi of us ordinary Joes and Janes who live, and breathe, and traverse our being at great distances from the search lights of renown.

I, who adores life so much, cannot imagine a disease of the mind that steals away my profound connection to life. I have no clue what it would be like to end my life while not caring about the everlasting pain my death would cause my loved ones to feel. I cannot imagine not wanting to hang around to experience “what could have been.”

I who “rage, rage against the dying of the light” see that I have been blessed to have been spared depression…so far.

Such despair I cannot fathom. I pray that I, and the world, never will from the hour of his self immolation to forever.
Adieu, Robin Williams. I shall laugh until I die, but not nearly as much were you still alive.

Blessings to your family and us all…


No comments:

Post a Comment