Tuesday, August 26, 2014

THE WISDOM BUCKET

In the beginning, the elohim created skies and earth.

Welcome back. Let’s think about a Wisdom Bucket.

Every morning I can, I go to the YMCA to lift weights. Placed by the entrance door is a bucket with multi-colored strips of paper that I call The Wisdom Bucket.

Before I depart, I take out a strip and read it. It is a Bible verse. So far, all the verses I have taken have been from the Jewish Bible.

The first time I took one out, I thought, “Neat!  I’ll make one of these for school.”  I’m still waiting for the money and time to do that.

Today’s verse was from the Psalms. The writer wrote that the Lord steadied him in times of trouble.

This got me to thinking about the poor 3rd person of the Trinity—the breath or wind of God. She is also called the Holy Spirit of God.

In my church we still recite something that says, “God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost…”  I struggle mightily trying to relate to that ghost metaphor.

I read once or twice that there is no Hebrew word for spirit. Maybe it’s the same for Greek too. In the former, the word translated “spirit” is the word for breath or wind as I mentioned above.

I doubt very seriously that God sends trouble our way just so God can steady us. This entire good-creation world is a mess of trouble. God does not have to lift a finger to get us into that trouble. Instead, I believe God’s connection to us through our being in this world steadies us.

What we call the spirit, is the breath within us that comes to us from our God of love. What we call the spirit points to God’s presence in our every waking and sleeping moment.

We do not receive the Holy Spirit. That breath from our God of love has us all. Those of us who become Christians realize that God has been with us always. It ever has been so. I will always be so.

That is what steadies us.

Blessings…






No comments:

Post a Comment